ABDULRAHMAN AL-SUMAIT UNIVERSITY
جامعة عبد الرحمن السميط
The Abdulrahman Al-Sumait University (SUMAIT) is built on the foundation of the former
University College of Education Zanzibar established in 1998 by a charity organization;
Kuwait based, Direct Aid (DA). In line with this expansion, SUMAIT wishes to invites
applications from suitable qualified Individuals to fill the vacant Academic and administrative
posts as follows:-
1. DEPUTY VICE-CHANCELLOR FOR FINANCE AND ADMINISTRATION (DVC (AF))
The Council of Abdulraman Al-Sumait University (SUMAIT) seeks to recruit a Deputy ViceChancellor (Finance and Administration) from suitably qualified and competent Tanzanian with
excellent credentials. The Deputy Vice- Chancellor shall work under the directives of the ViceChancellor of the University.
The Deputy Vice Chancellor responsible for administration and finance is the principal assistant
to the Vice-Chancellor in all matters pertaining to the administration of the University, including
the administration of funds, planning and other assets of the University and will act as vice
chancellor in the absence of both the Vice-Chancellor and the Deputy Vice- Chancellor
responsible for Academic, Research and Consultancy.
The candidate will be responsible for the development and implementation of sound financial
and administrative policies needed by the University to realize its mission, vision and strategic
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Deputy Vice-Chancellor for Planning, Finance and Administration shall: –
▪ Shall be the overall responsible for direction and administration of the Division of Administration,
Finance and Planning of the university.
▪ Ensure the university Management is properly and promptly advised to comply with all statutory
and legal requirements currently in force.
▪ Be accountable to Vice Chancellor in respect to matters related to Planning, Finance and
▪ Supervise and maintain acceptable standards of staff.
▪ Provide leadership and supervisory guidance to the general administration and personnel
management of the University.
▪ Advise the Vice Chancellor on all administrative, personnel, planning and financial matters.
▪ Ensure implementation of policies and strategies that support the realization of University’s
overall mission and vision.
▪ Develop and implement University regulations, policies as well as adhere to national laws and
regulations to ensure effective performance and delivery of services.
▪ Coordinate the design, implementation, revision and evaluation of the University’s periodic
▪ Develop internal and external linkages with other academic institutions, industry, government
agencies, funding organizations and other relevant bodies that are beneficial to the university.
▪ Be responsible for formulating financial, accounting, staff and administrative policies and
procedures of the University, prepare budget, and submit audited accounts.
▪ Perform any other related duties as may be assigned to him or her by the Vice Chancellor or by
Academic Qualifications, Experience, Skills and Competencies
• Be a Professor or an Associate Professor of a recognized University with an earned
PhD in a relevant discipline.
• Should have at least ten (10) years of proven experience in management, leadership
and administration, three (3) of which should have been at a senior level from a
• Should have good knowledge and skills of financial management and resource
• Should have knowledge and experience in strategic planning and budgeting, policy
making and implementation in higher education.
• Have an understanding of the relevant policy and legal framework for financial
management for higher education in Tanzania.
• Should have good communication, negotiation and people skills.
The Deputy Vice Chancellors (Finance and Administration) shall serve the office for a term of
four (4) years and may be reappointed for another term of four (4) years subject to the Council
recommendations and approval of the Board of Trustees on evidence of excellent performance.
According to Abdulraman Al-Sumait University (SUMAIT) Salary Scale.
Mode of Application:
Electronic (email) OR hardcopy applications shall be accepted. Candidates should send:
1. Hardcopy: by courier, a sealed application packs containing six copies of the following:
a. Signed application letter.
b. Detailed up-to-date CV including working contact details.
c. Certified copies of academic transcripts and certificates, national identity card or bio-data
page of their passport.
d. Names and contact details of three referees who should be advised to send confidential
references directly to the Search Committee address below. The references should
cover the following areas; the candidate’s academic credentials, experience, leadership,
managerial and administrative skills and personal integrity.
e. Envelope should be clearly marked “APPLICATION FOR THE POSITION OF
2. Electronic applications should have all the above documents scanned and emailed with
the subject clearly marked “APPLICATION FOR THE POSITION OF DVC FA”.
3. Applications SHOULD reach the addressee below by 5:00 p.m. on 28
April 2022 or you
can send your application through Email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications should be addressed to:
Secretary to the Search Committee,
P.O. Box 1933, Zanzibar.
Inquiries can be made through the above email indicating subject as “INQUIRY” or by
phone +255 718 822 781 during working hours.
2. Senior Lecturer /Assistant or Associate Professor of Clinical or Counseling
Psychology) (1 Posts)
The Department of Counseling and Psychology at Sumait University Zanzibar invites
applications for the forthcoming new program of post graduate/ Master of Clinical Psychology
Degree. The Applicant should be a full-time, tenured position at the rank of Senior Lecturer,
Associate or Full Professor. Start date is October 2022.
• Bachelor degree in General Psychology/Guidance and Cancelling or Clinical
Psychology with GPA not less than 3.5 out of 5 or equivalent in the same discipline.
• Master’s degree in Clinical or Counseling Psychology with GPA not less than 4 out of 5
or equivalent in the same discipline.
• A PhD is preferred (Clinical or Counselling Psychology considered). A successful
candidate must possess experience in college level teaching. All specializations will be
considered. Candidates with additional credentials are especially invited to apply.
• Meets criteria for tenure at the Associate- or Full- level, including scholarly record,
teaching effectiveness, and record of service.
Essential Duties, Tasks, Roles &Responsibilities:
• Teaching responsibilities should include under/postgraduate and graduate courses in
clinical psychology; supervise and Master’s student research.
• Maintain an active research program that results in publishing in peer-reviewed journals
and obtaining external funding for research
• Designing/Develop under/post graduate academic programs.
• Providing counseling sessions as a related service for eligible students.
• Supervise undergraduate/postgraduate researches.
• Provide service to the Department, College, University, and profession
• Supervise practicum and internships.
• Applicants should have experience in Counseling/clinical practices.
• Any other duties as may be assigned by the university.
3. JOB TITTLE: Laboratory Technician (3 positions)
1. Chemistry Lab Technician – 1
2. Biology Lab Technician – 1
3. Physics Lab Technician – 1
Lab technician is responsible for the operations and maintenance works of laboratories. They
are responsible for monitoring and doing the installation process of all equipment, devices,
items, chemicals, and electronics. They are responsible of equipment and material testing,
chemical processes monitoring, and devices troubleshooting to ensure the proper fitting and
preparation of Lab components before each experimentation work as part of quality assurance.
1. Holder of an Ordinary Diploma in Science and Laboratory Technology or any closely
related field from recognized institutions with a good GPA.
2. If the candidate holds a bachelor degree of Technology in Laboratory science or any
closely related field could add advantage of this position.
3. Have required knowledge, experience, and skills in their related fields for safe equipment
testing, element fitting, operating, maintaining and troubleshooting, in the relevant
4. Be able to act professionally in all situations.
5. Possess excellent communication, interpersonal and supervisory skills
6. Be analytical, critical, results-oriented, innovative, visionary and a good team player.
7. Have the ability to work in teams under pressure and flexible to work different working
hours (night / day) shifts if required or necessary.
Roles & Responsibilities
Laboratory Technicians will perform the following laboratory tasks:
• Preparing and setting up the laboratory for lecturers and students’ use;
• Liaising with academic staff to discuss timetables, equipment requirements and work
• Training users on how the use of new devices, chemicals, materials equipment’s,
hardware or software.
• Testing, diagnosing, troubleshooting, and ensuring that all lab equipment are functioning
properly and is ready to use, and that the right materials, chemicals, elements, or
software are available for particular lectures/instructions;
• Paying close attention to the user’s description of their practical-work problems, and
asking questions to identify the problem and determine how to solve them.
• Running trials of experiments prior to classes and then demonstrating techniques for
• Supporting the work of teachers and students during laboratory sessions, and giving
• Working with individual students and supporting them on research projects;
• Record keeping, e.g. for student practical’s, tracking methods, results, etc;
• Maintaining and repairing equipment and laboratory apparatus;
• Ensuring that items, devices, and other lab equipment are properly cleaned and those
chemicals and other materials are appropriately stored.
• Doing other lab-related duties that may be assigned by the concerned department or lab
4. Personal Assistant / Secretary to the Vice Chancellor (1 post)
Job holder is expected to have personal administrative skills and talents to support and report
to the Vice Chancellor. The Personal Assistant provides high-level administrative
support to the Vice-Chancellor whose activities are multi-dimensional, extremely
complex and externally visible which are paramount to the success, reputation and
integrity of the University.
Essential Duties, Tasks & Responsibilities:
• Provides high-level pro-active support to the Vice-Chancellor and to ensure the smooth
running of the Vice-Chancellor’s office, including effective and complex diary
• Provides the exceptional level of organization required in an extremely busy and high
• Provides a professional interface between the Vice-Chancellor and internal and external
• Supports the University’s priorities as identified by the Vice-Chancellor, including high
profile events and visits;
• Promotes a positive image of the University when dealing with internal and external
• Organizes meetings and associated administration;
• Drafts letters and replies for the Vice-Chancellor’s signature;
• Deals with enquiries and issues that arise in the Vice-Chancellor’s office and on behalf
of the Vice-Chancellor, initiating action or referring where appropriate, and making
judgments about the urgency of issues;
• Deals with normal and confidential correspondence including e-mails; recording and
monitoring deadlines and ensuring appropriate circulation where necessary;
• Arranges visits and meetings.
• Makes travel arrangements, itineraries, reservations and other arrangements with a view
to optimizing the use of the Vice-Chancellor’s time.
• Prepares monitors and manages the office budget and controlling of the office’s petty
• Maintains the Vice-Chancellor’s diary on a daily basis, prioritizing items for action, with
consideration to deadlines and diary commitments.
• Monitors work that enters the office through to completion, in consultation with
colleagues, and members of the University’s management team, as appropriate, and
makes arrangements in accordance with the agreed program.
• Holder of at least Diploma or Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration, Business
Administration majoring in Corporate Management or Governance, Mass
Communication and Publicity, Business Management or equivalent from a recognized
higher learning institution.
• Superior skills in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point and keynote) and
• IT skills, including Microsoft Office packages, databases, web and email are essential.
• Must have very good command of English and profound writing skills.
• Three (3) years working experience in similar post, two (2) of which must be from Senior
Level in a reputable institution.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
• Well developed organizational skills and ability to work on own initiative and make
rational, informed decisions.
• Well developed written and oral communication skills.
• Ability to meet the demands of a heavy workload and priorities demands in order to meet
• Ability to deal with confidential information and exercise the utmost discretion when
dealing with sensitive organizational information and interactions.
• Ability to multitask effectively to a variety of deadlines.
• Excellent problem solving skills.
• Positive, enthusiastic, and customer-friendly approach.
5. Planning Officer (1 post)
As part of a team, the Planning Officer will assist with the development, implementation and
continual improvement of the University’s planning, quality and marketing strategy. The role of
Planning Officer is to assist in the planning, development and delivery of agreed aspects of the
marketing and Planning, widening access and community engagement activities and student
recruitment activities for the University.
Essential Duties, Tasks& Responsibilities:
• Providing Technical expert on University plans, programs and projects;
• Assisting DVC Administration in preparing short term plans and ensuring resources
• Co-coordinating and controlling plans as well as effective and efficient utilization of
• Plans, develops, implements, and coordinates strategic operational of marketing, and
administrative programs, projects, and/or services of broad significance to the University.
• Establishes and implements short- and long-range organizational goals, objectives,
strategic plans, Marketing, policies, and operating procedures; monitors and evaluates
programmatic and operational effectiveness, and effects changes required for
• Determines need and plans, develops, and assesses a wide range of integrated
communications strategies and programs for and on behalf of the university’s principal
• Contribute in the implementation of marketing strategies of the University.
• Organize and attend marketing activities or events to raise brand awareness
• Plan advertising and promotional campaigns for products or services on a variety of
media (social, print etc.)
• Prepare content for the publication of marketing material and oversee distribution
• Conduct market research to identify opportunities for promotion and growth.
• Holder of at least Bachelor’s degree in Planning, business administration, development
planning and Management, Project Planning and Management or other relevant field of
• Possession of Masters in Planning, business administration, development planning and
Management or other related field is an added advantage.
• Good command of written and spoken English language and possession of marketing
• Working experience of at least three (3) years in the same field in higher learning
Institution or large/reputable public/private organizations;
• Solid knowledge of marketing and planning techniques and principles.
• Good understanding of market research techniques, statistical and data analysis
• Excellent diagnostic and problem solving skills
Knowledge, skills and ability required
• Skilled in Planning and budget preparation and fiscal management.
• Skilled in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy,
and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures.
• Skilled in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
• Knowledge and understanding of integrated program planning, marketing, development,
and administration within a private’s institution environment.
• Ability to supervise and train employees, to include organizing, prioritizing, and
scheduling work assignments.
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of
individuals and constituencies in a diverse community.
• Advanced verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
Mode of Application
Applicants should submit their applications supported by detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV),
certified copies of their certificates, names and addresses of three non-relative referees who
can be contacted for references. Foreign awards should be verified by Tanzania Commission
for Universities (TCU).
Salary and Remunerations
SUMAIT University offers attractive salary and remunerations according to the University’s
Dead line 28/04/2022
Hand delivered application should reach to SUMAIT, Chukwani Street Zanzibar not later than
3:30hrs on 28th April, 2022. Or you can send your application through: Email at:
Applications should be addressed to:
P.O. Box 1933, Zanzibar.
Shortlisted applicants SHALL be contacted in person.
Abdulraman Al-Sumait University is an Equal Opportunities Employer.